A Dark Shadow Rises
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the Shadows of Fangorn Forest

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

In the Shadows of Fangorn Forest - Page 2 Empty Re: In the Shadows of Fangorn Forest

Post by Serethiel Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 am

Serethiel considered Umar's question for a long moment as she paced back and forth in the small room. Finally, she nodded and looked at him.

"Yes, I believe I could identify her inner being if I were able to meet her," she replied. "When I entered that boy's mind I had to touch that dark spot in order to pull it from him. In touching it, I got the briefest glimpse of what this thing truly looks like. But the question is how are you going to get me close enough to her? Here I am believed to be no more than a servant."

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

In the Shadows of Fangorn Forest - Page 2 Empty Re: In the Shadows of Fangorn Forest

Post by mysterymax Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Umar stepped across the room to take her in his arms. He held her close for a moment with a deep sigh of thankfulness that she was not lost to him because of his foolishness.

"I'm not sure how much I can be trusted around her, but I think I must go one more time to the Cynig -- to say my farewell. If we go with our horses packed for the journey, it is natural that you would come with me. And perhaps we can see her together?"
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Serethiel allowed Umar to take her into his arms and she leaned against him. She closed her eyes and breathed in his scent. While he was secretly thankful that she had not been lost to him, she was thankful that he was not lost to her. She knew in that moment that nothing could come between them. Their bond was too strong. But they needed to face this woman together. Serethiel could not allow her to manipulate her beloved again.

"Yes, I believe that is best. I will remain close by. If she is the cause of this evil I will be able to sense it. I may be forced to kill her, but I will attempt to avoid that if possible."

She paused a moment before looking at Umar. "Will your cousin come to our wedding?"

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Umar's aunt was excited to be coming to their wedding and she told them that she would travel to the family steading in a week with one of her sons. They said their farewells and Umar made certain his weapons were in easy reach, but not obvious. If it came to violence, they would not be facing and armed and armored foes, but a young woman, though she might have unknown powers. But that domain was Serethiel's and he contented himself with being ready to hold off the Cynig and the beefy sergeant if things started to go sideways.

The lead their horses through the streets and left them in the care of the guards at the outer entrance. These men had seen Umar there the night before, carousing with the Cynig and his sister. They saw no reason not to allow him entrance now, with his servant woman.

Once inside, a servant asked them why they were there and Umar told her that they had come to bid the Cynig and his sister farewell before they left.

“Wait here,” the woman said and entered the inner part of the hall.

“Umar, beloved,” a honeyed voice spoke from behind them to one side. “You are leaving already? Surely I can persuade you to stay with us.”

A smile split Umar's face and his expression was that of a boy infatuated as he turned to face her.

“Morgana!” he cried in joy at seeing her.

Serethiel turned to face the Cynig's sister as well and a shock of horror ran through her. Expecting to see a pretty, even beautiful woman, she beheld instead a weathered hag, her features twisted with anger and greed, her face lined with deep scars and bruises as if some evil power coursed within her body. On the ring finger of her left hand, where she would have worn a wedding band, a black chunk of iron pulsed with twisted corruption so strong it actually hurt her eyes as if she were staring at the sun.

In the Shadows of Fangorn Forest - Page 2 Morgana

The hag's eyes flickered to Serethiel and quickly gauged her . . . and dismissed her. Despite her obvious powers, gifts of the foul ring no doubt, she did not seem to be able to tell that Serethiel could see through her glamour. To her, the elfin warrior looked like a serving woman standing meekly by while her master spoke with her betters.

But Umar was immediately besotted again in her presence, simpering and offering silly words of praise for her beauty.

“You may not leave,” said Morgana, stepping forward to take the warrior's arm. “Postpone your wedding. Stay here. With me.” She simpered up at him and cold anger clutched at Serethiel's belly.
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Serethiel was pleased to know that Umar’s cousin was going to be able to attend their wedding. Serethiel had not had any time since Umar’s proposal to think about the wedding, but just knowing that it was going to happen and that she and Umar would be together for the remainder of their lives was enough for her. She didn’t need a big, elaborate wedding. She hoped for something simple with his family since she knew that Elessar would be planning a larger wedding for when they returned to Gondor. She and Umar packed their belongings and said goodbye to his cousin before retrieving their horses from the stable.

As they approached the large building in the town center Serethiel had a dark feeling come over her that only got stronger the closer they got to it. She remained in character of a servant woman, but was ready to grab her weapons in the blink of an eye. They were allowed into the building without any trouble and Serethiel felt that dark feeling grow even stronger. The evil she had felt in that boy’s mind was here and it was close…very close. Suddenly, she heard a woman’s voice behind them. When she spoke Umar’s name, Serethiel felt a tremble of anger go through her body at the familiarity behind it. However, as she turned and looked at Morgana she was shocked by what she saw. Instead of a young, beautiful woman she was facing an ugly, old hag. Evil was radiating off of her. However, the woman’s eyes simply slid across her and did not seem to view her as a threat. That was a big mistake.

Serethiel could take no more of this and she pushed off the bonnet she had been wearing, allowing her long, dark hair to spill down her back and around her shoulders. Her eyes were fierce and radiated her strength. They narrowed dangerously at her as she drew an arrow and aimed it at her heart. She stood between her and Umar.

“I am Serethiel. I have recently become aware of your…work.”

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 am

Morgan looked at Serethiel blankly for a moment, as if what she had just said made no sense. Then she grinned, an evil grin.

"Now I see you, my lovely," she cackled. "Let's see if your blood is strong enough for this"

She raised her left hand and a bolt of black lightning from the horrible ring of raw iron leaped across the room at Serethiel. The force of the arcane attack was like a hammer blow and Seretheil staggered under its dint. Stumbling back. Umar gaped at the two of them but seemed incapable of action.

"Guards! Guards!" Morgana cried and several men at arms with spears ran into the room.

"Arrest these two!" the Cynig's sister commanded. "They have attacked me and must be punished for their crimes."

The armed warriors leveled their spears and moved forward. This threat brought Umar out of his stupor and he reached for his hand axes.

mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Serethiel did not flinch at Morgana's evil grin. She held fast and continued to keep her arrow pointed at the old hag's heart. She could not allow herself to feel fear. If she did she knew that Morgana would win. And so she fought off any fear she felt rising up within her and kept her hands steady. However, when she saw the black bolt of lightening coming towards her she instinctively started to take a step backwards. She didn't move fast enough and was hit and stumbled back a few steps. She felt dizzy but she forced herself to quickly right herself as the guards were called into the room. Serethiel knew she needed to act quickly. She re-nocked her arrow and aimed it at one of the guards who was coming towards her. She fired and hit him in the neck.

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:46 am

The attack on his beloved enraged Umar and he swung his axes with a will, striking at the unhurt guard first and shearing through his fingers that held the spear. The man's scream of pain brought others running and the fight quickly escalated with Umar and Serethiel back to back in the Cynig's hall battling for their lives.

Serethiel's eyes followed Morgan as she methodically fired arrow after arrow, to wound rather than kill, for these men were not her enemy, and she noticed the woman raise the black fire of the ring to her face and whisper to it, cocking her head as if she were listening to a reply.

"What now, my love?" called Umar over his shoulder, parrying spear thrusts this his crossed axes. "You will be out of arrows soon and there will be enough of them to overwhelm us. We could make a break for the door, but I'm thinking they'll be waiting for us at the gate."
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 am

OOC-Since you are controlling Morgana, any thoughts on how to defeat her?

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:37 pm

OOC: I would suggest you try to shoot her, since she cannot command your character. I would give Serethiel a 50 - 60% chance of success at this, but if she fails, they will be overwhelmed and taken prisoner.

If they are taken prisoner, they will not immediately be killed, but she wil want to examine Serethiel and learn why she is not subject to the power of her ring. Place for some gruesome stuff, but opportunities for escape as well.
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Serethiel attempted not to kill the guards as she knew that they were not of sound mind, but she needed to get to Morgana. She knew that she would soon be out of arrows and she needed to act soon. However, the guards kept coming. She and Umar were fighting back to back and they protected one another as they fought almost in sync. Serethiel continued to watch Morgana as the fight continued and when she saw her whispering to the black ring on her finger she knew that now was the time to act. She did not respond to Umar, but instead pulled out her last arrow and took aim at the old hag's heart. She then held her breath and fired...

OOC-I will let you roll the dice on this. I left it open to go either way.

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:44 am

Game Mechanics
-------------------
Serethiel fires arrow at Morgana with 60% chance of success
1d100 = 46 -- a hit

Narrative
----------
The arrow flew across the short space and buried itself in the twisted woman's chest. She let out a surprised gasp and sank to the ground in a swoon. The guards continued to struggle with Umar, but they slowed and looked surprised at where they were. The battle was over.

"Who's this?" cried one of the guards, looking down at Morgana, bleeding into the rushes on the dirt floor. "She wears the Cynig's sisters robes, but it's not her. She's a hag."

Confusion and questions filled the air while wounded guardsmen wondered about why they had been in a fight with Lord Umar and his servant.

"She's still alive!" cried the same guard. "Send for the physicker."
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 am

Serethiel breathed a sigh of relief when her arrow hit the old hag in the chest. She looked over at Umar to be sure he was alright. Their eyes met for a moment and they each gave a little nod to the other that indicated that neither of them was hurt. As confusion set in, Serethiel slowly approached the injured woman. She knelt down close to her, but did not touch her or the ring. Instead, she examined it and the woman as carefully as she could. She still lived, though she wasn't sure if she would survive or not. However, she had many unanswered questions. For now though she walked back over to Umar.

"I fear that the Cynig's real sister may either be dead or held captive somewhere," she said softly. "I actually hope that this woman lives long enough to answer some questions."

Last edited by Serethiel on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:30 pm

OOC: I'm not so sure that because Serethiel was not taken in by the simple glamour the ring cast, that she is totally unaffected by it -- especially when she takes hold of it. This is after all a Great Ring -- one of the Nine. It is going to have some affect on her if she takes it into her possession, something she would feel as soon as she touches it. May want to back that last one up a bit and use gloves or cloth to hold it while taking it off of her. And then what will she do with it?

BIC: In the confusion, the Cynig, Donar, came in to see what all the noise was about. Hearing that his sister had been taken, and replaced somehow with the old, very ill woman bleeding somewhat profusely on his floor, he became very angry.

"Who has done this? Lord Umar -- is it you who has taken my sister? You were very taken with her last night.

"And who is this old woman? Your aunt? What have you done with Morgana?"

Umar looked surprised, then shocked and finally his brows came together in dark anger.

"I have not touched your sister, Donar. Be careful what you say to me. My honor will not stand a false accusation." He glanced aside at Serethiel and swallowed a bit of his pride.

"It is possible that she has been taken away by another, and I will be happy to search for her. But I suggest you treat this lady well." He nodded at the wounded woman on the floor. "She may be the key to getting your sister back."

A physician entered the hall and busied herself examining the woman's wound.

Cynig Donar glanced at her and nodded to his guards.

"Watch over this hag. See she comes to no further harm, but do not let her out of your sight. Send for me when she can talk."

"Lord Umar . . . and your companion . . . join me now in my private chamber and tell me how you will go about seeking out my lost sister."

He waved them ahead of him, deeper into the hall.
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 pm

OOC-Yeah, after I posted that last reply I was thinking back and wasn't sure if she should have actually taken the ring off or not. I adjusted the post and had Serethiel leave it currently on her finger, but something will eventually have to be done about it.

IC-Serethiel stood up as Cynig Donar entered the room and backed away a few steps from the old woman. She was no longer wearing the bonnet Umar's cousin had provided for her and could not hide that she was an elf. She no longer felt that it mattered however. They had found the source of the evil, but Serethiel was not sure how they would dispose of the ring. She glanced at her husand-to-be as the Cynig accused him of possibly being involved in his sister's disappearance. Her eyes met his and she breathed out when he backed down. She could not blame this man for being upset and confused and walked with him towards his private chamber. Once inside with the door closed she looked at him.

"I am Serethiel, Umar's betrothed. The old woman was using magic to impersonate your sister. She was doing it last night as well in order to influence Umar. Neither of us know where your sister is, or what has happened to her, but we can try to find her. No one must touch the ring on the old woman's finger though. It is...evil."

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 am

The Cynig is distraught and angry.

"What has happened to my sister?" he demands of Serethiel and Umar, as if in some way they are responsible.

Serethiel knows full well what has happened to her -- she is right in front of him, almost consumed by the Great Ring she wears, well on her way to becoming a Ring Wraith. But she is unrecognizable while she is unconscious. When she regains her senses, however, the power of the ring will assert itself once more, and she will look beautiful and be VERY persuasive. They have little time to act.
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 am

Serethiel was quiet a moment as she glanced down at the Cynig's sister once more. She knew that they had very little time and needed to act quickly in order to rid the woman of the evil object that had taken hold of her.

"Your sister is here...right in front of us on the floor. She is currently wearing the Great Ring, though how she came into possession of it is still a mystery to me. That ring is poisoning her body and mind. It is evil...very evil and while it remains on her finger it is changing her and before too long she will become a Ring Wraith. We must get the Ring off of her finger, but none of us can directly touch it. If we do we too will fall under its power."

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 am

Umar has riding gloves tucked into his belt. He pulls them on and gingerly reaches out to touch the ring with a single finger. Behind him the Cynig is spluttering in disbelief. He is convinced that the woman has in some way kidnapped his sister and used the "magic ring" to make herself look like Morgana.

Umar seems unaffected through the glove and he quickly grasps the young woman's hand and tries to simply pull the ring off. It moves at first, but then burns red hot and tightens itself visibly on Morgana's finger. The smell of seared flesh fills the hall. Umar's gloves are seared as well and he quickly lets go in case the ring burns through the leather and touch his flesh.

"We may need to cut her finger of," he whispers to Serethiel, glancing aside at the Cynig. He's going to work all this out soon enough and he will not be happy about harm done to his sister. Though it may be better for her in the long run to lose a finger than lose her soul.

"What do you advise, beloved?" he asks Serethiel.
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am

Serethiel watched Umar as he slipped on his riding gloves. She knew what he was going to do and she could only hope that he would be able to get it off. As he tugged on the ring she could see it move slightly and Serethiel began to believe it would just slide off. However, it then began to turn red and she could see it tighten around the woman's finger. Serethiel quickly began to realize that this was not going to be as easy as she had hoped. She glanced back at the Cynig when Umar suggested cutting off the woman's finger.

"It appears to be our only option," she replied softly. She discreetly handed him one of her elvish daggers which were known for being extremely sharp. Knowing that they would need to stop the bleeding quickly she ripped a section of fabric from the bonnet Umar's cousin had given her.

"Do it quickly. I will hold him back if he tries to stop you."

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterymax Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:18 pm

With a sudden thrust, Umar sliced the woman's finger off at the base. Blood spurted and soaked the floor. The pain of the wound, woke Morgana from unconsciousness and she screamed. The Cynig roared in anger at what had happened and ordered his guards to lay hands on Umar again.

"No," her voice was faint, but Morgana spoke with authority, laying on reed strewn floor with her blood soaking into the dirt .

"He has freed me." She passed out again from the two severe wounds she had received and Serethiel set about binding up this second awful injury to the young woman in a short period of time. The Cynig was not certain that she was in her right mind and he stationed guards at every exit with orders that Umar and Serethiel were not to leave until his sister was recovered.

"If she dies," he grated, "so do you."

The severed finger with the ugly iron ring still affixed to its flesh lay on the ground until Serethiel tossed a rag over it and used the cloth to wrap it up and pick it up.

"What will you do with that?" asked Cynig Donar in a hollow voice. "It must be an evil magic indeed if it has done this my beautiful sister."
mysterymax
mysterymax

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Serethiel braced herself as Umar swiftly sliced off the woman's finger. She hated defiling her body in such a way, but they had been left with no other choice. The ring had already taken too much of a hold on her. Had it lasted any longer then she truly would have been lost. She was relieved when it was done and she tossed a rag over the ring, which was still affixed to the woman's finger, and carefully picked it up. She and Umar would have to figure out a safe place to dispose of the evil object.

"Had this ring remained any longer on your sister's finger she would have been worse off than dead," she told the Cynig as she stood up and faced him. "She would have been turned into a Wraith. Death would have been a release...but she is not going to die and now nor will many others. Your sister may have lost a finger, but she has kept her life and her spirit. Hold us if you wish, but in your heart you know we saved her....we gave you back your true sister."

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm

OOC-Hey. Just wanted to check in since I haven't heard from you in a few weeks. I hope everything is alright.

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Serethiel Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:38 pm

OOC-Hey. Just checking in since its been a while since I've heard from you. I hope you are doing ok.

Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum